Principal, Miller CFO Services (2001-present)
- Provide contract CFO services to small and medium-sized companies.
- Create financial models and business plans; evaluate accounting and administrative structures; oversee implementation of recommendations.
Manufacturer, Northfield, VT (2004-present)
- Researched and installed new accounting and job-costing software.
- Develop budgets and business plans in accordance with strategic plans.
- Proposed price cuts on selected jobs to increase throughput and offset the effects of recession.
- Worked with VEDA and other banks to finance major equipment purchases; obtained CEDF grants for solar panels (USDA grant award pending).
- Oversaw server upgrade; established smart phone connections with corporate email server; responsible for all software and hardware improvements and initiatives.
Service company, South Burlington, VT (2008-2011)
- Restructured P&L to show gross margin; created company’s first budgets (QuickBooks, Enterprise version)
- Developed and oversaw accounting improvements that allowed the first clean review by public accountants since the company’s founding.
Specialty contractor, Barre, VT (2006-present)
- Developed company’s first budgets (QuickBooks).
- Created accurate job-costing spreadsheets to improve daily business management.
- Helped turn around finances, cutting costs and prioritizing investments.
Startup, Burlington, VT (2009)
- Developing financing models for startup (Excel).
Vermont Institutes for Science, Math, and Technology, Montpelier, VT (2002-2004)
- Developed management requirements for new accounting system; evaluated alternative systems; made recommendations suggested and assisted in implementation; at board’s request, guided development of new operational and budgeting systems and procedures to secure clean audits.
Sports retail store, Essex, VT (2001)
- Established QuickBooks accounting system; prepared financials; guided company to eventual sale.
Harrington Foods, Richmond, VT (2001)
- Served as interim controller; prepared financials during transition to tax accountant as controller (DOS-based accounting system).
Startup, Burlington, VT (2001-2003)
- Developed financing models for startup, which resulted in successful funding to mezzanine level.
Startup, South Burlington, VT (2001-2008)
- Developed financing models for startup.
Director of Finance & Administration (2003-2006) – nonprofit, Montpelier, VT
- Provided financial analyses, strategic support, and human resources leadership to achieve organization’s long-term goals.
- Installed new accounting software (QuickBooks) during successful annual audit.
- Responsible for IT; oversaw server upgrade.
- Led successful renovations to historic building and move into new office space in Montpelier; developed financial models to support successful funding and capital campaign.
Chief Financial Officer (2001-2003) manufacturer, St. Albans, VT
- Successfully implemented new manufacturing computer system with job-costing and “line-of-business” profitability reports (Visual Software).
- Developed efficiency and profitability reports for strategic redirection into new areas.
- Introduced monthly cash-flow analysis; projected ability to buy or lease capital equipment.
- Consolidated inventory reporting to support management decision making.
Vice President, Finance and Operations (1992-2000) nonprofit, Burlington, Vermont
- Spearheaded major financial turnaround in 1992–1993; evaluated financial performance of individual business lines, reduced expenses, turned loss into positive cash flow.
- Helped shape strategic sale of Internet assets, establishing organization’s endowment.
- Responsible for IT; oversaw several software and hardware upgrades.
- Established telecommunications for Internet development, which expanded revenue base.
- Redesigned accounting structure to obtain more accurate and accessible view of finance (Platinum Software).
- Led staff through warehouse expansions, office moves, and plans for new headquarters.
- Regularly improved staff benefits on a cost-effective basis.
Vice President, Finance and Administration (1989-1991) college, Massachusetts
- Evaluated several lines of business; determined profitability of each; recommended and monitored innovations to improve overall organizational cost-effectiveness (college accounting software).
- Brought external security operations in-house; hired effective security supervisor who initiated training for officers.
Financial Analyst/Chief Financial Officer (1982-1989) Christian Science Publishing Society (Monitor), Boston, Massachusetts
- Helped guide major financial turnaround; analyzed cost reductions of more than $20mm on $80mm budget.
Ph.D., physiology, University of Michigan at Ann Arbor
- Specialized in data analysis and computer modeling
B.A., psychology, University of California, Los Angeles
Memberships and service
Member, Lake Champlain Chamber of Commerce; Vermont Businesses for Social Responsibility